Monday, April 8, 2013

Book Review Monday

As I promised last week, today I am going to share with you a review of Mary Connealy's Swept Away.

Here's a quick description that I posted last week while I was still reading the book.
   "Swept away when her wagon train attempts a difficult river crossing, Ruthy MacNeil isn't all that upset at being separated from the family who raised her. All they've ever done is work her to the bone. She prayed for a chance to get away, and then came the raging flood. Alive but disoriented, she's rescued by Luke Stone...so unfortunately, there are more chances to die in her immediate future.
Luke is heading home to reclaim the ranch stolen from his family. But the men who killed his father are working hard to ensure Luke doesn't make it alive. He has no choice but to keep moving. Still, he can't just abandon Ruthy, so she'll have to come along.
   His friends--a ragtag group of former Civil War soldiers--take a fast interest in the pretty gal. Luke thinks that's rather rude--he's the one who found her. And the more time he spends around the hard-working young woman who is a mighty good cook, the more he finds himself thinking beyond revenge and toward a different future. For the first time in a long time, Luke is tempted to turn from his destructive path and be swept away by love."

On to my thoughts:
First of all, I really like the title. I was thinking of naming my own work-in-progress novel "Swept Away" purely coincidentally, before I had ever heard of this book. Interesting, huh?

Anyway, on to the actual book.

Ruthy is swept away in a flood, separated from her "adoptive" family, who she is better off separated from anyway. She is lucky to survive the flood and is found by Luke, a man who is returning home to take his ranch back from the man who killed his father and stole it.
Having no other place to go, Ruthy stays with Luke all the way to his town of Broken Wheel, Texas, where he meets up with his best friends, the Regulators. The Regulators are a group of men who worked together in the Civil War. Dare is a doctor, Vince is a lawyer, Big John is a Texas Ranger, and Jonas is a preacher man. I loved all of these characters!
Luke calls Ruthy "Rosie" because when he found her she had a sunburn that matched her red hair.
Once in Broken Wheel, Luke and Ruthy have to stay at Dare's house and hide so that Flint Greer, the man who took Luke's ranch doesn't find out he has returned.
Luke and the Regulators' plan to take back the ranch becomes even more important when they realize they need to also rescue Greer's wife whom he abuses.
I really like that all of Mary Connealy's books are connected somehow, and this is connected to the Kincaid Brides Series.
I loved this book so much! It was hilarious, romantic, and full of adventure just like every other Mary Connealy book I have ever read.

Have you read any Mary Connealy books? What are you reading now?

9 comments:

  1. I really like the title, too ;)
    I haven't read this book yet, but it's on my to-read list. I want to find out more about Callie's brother (yes, I've read the Kincaid series - Mary Connealy's books are hilarious and great!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cortney. You need to read this book!

      Delete
  2. Cool, sounds like an interesting book. I've read Out of Control and that was a good book. :) Haven't had much time for reading anything lately, too much to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Carole. I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, thanks for linking up with BYL. I have signed up to follow your blog and do hope you will follow Carole's chatter too. Hope to see you again soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Carole! I will be following your blog too. :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE YOUR BLOG. Your header is AWESOME!!

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Sounds like a good book...thanks for the great review.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved April Edition. I am in the list as #21.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Elizabeth! I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.