Monday, August 18, 2014

Book Monday: Caught in the Middle

Hey everyone! I'm finally back to hopefully posting on a regular schedule once again.

Today I have a review for you of Caught in the Middle by Regina Jennings.

Here's a little about the book:


"She Wants the Freedom of the Open Plains. He Wants the Prestige of a Successful Career.
Neither is Ready for What Comes Instead.

The train to Garber, Texas, is supposed to bring life's next victory to Nicholas Lovelace. Instead, it gets held up by robbers who are thwarted by the last person Nick ever expected--Anne Tillerton from back home in Prairie Lea.
Anne's been hiding away as a buffalo hunter. She's only in town to find their runaway cook, but the woman flees--leaving Anne with her infant son. With Nick the only person Anne knows in town, the two form an unlikely team as they try to figure out what to do with the child.
But being in town means acting and dressing for polite society--and it's not going well for Anne. Meanwhile, Nick's work is bringing new pressures, and being seen with a rough-around-the-edges woman isn't helping his reputation. Caught between their own dreams, a deepening relationship, and others' expectations, can the pair find their way to love?"


My Thoughts:
The Idea:
The beginning of this book is very attention-getting. It starts with a train robbery when the main character, Anne, saves the hero, Nicholas, from near-death by the train robbers. 
Anne later gets stuck with taking care of her former cook's abandoned child, and trouble ensues as she grows to care for the child and struggles to take care of him. 
Nick's work causes a whole other set of issues and he works together with Anne to help keep an eye on the child and make Anne--a buffalo hunter--more presentable to the town's society.
The Characters:
I really enjoyed reading about Anne and Nick! They seemed very real. Anne had a dark past and because of that, was very strong and cold. I tended to like the characters more as I got into the book rather than at the start of the book. 
The Plot:
The plot was slower at the beginning, and it took me a while to get into it. However, after a bit, I really enjoyed the book! Especially the last third. I really enjoyed it.
The Setting:
The setting fit very well with the story. Anne is used to being a buffalo hunter out on the range, and now she is forced to live in a city setting. She is not used to being around people after some unfortunate events when she was younger. This setting really challenges her.
Overall:
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who wants a touching read!

6 comments:

  1. Cool review, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing this book's cover which is very intriguing, but I haven't read it yet. It sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; the cover really caught my attention!

      Delete
  3. I keep seeing this cover everywhere and it looks so cute! I want to pick it up - I love books with interesting settings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.