Monday, July 30, 2012

Book Review Monday

Hi everyone, I want to apologize for posting this a little late. My review for today is about Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren. Here is what the back of the book says to give you an idea about what it is about: "When Cora Kensington learns she is the illegitimate daughter of a copper king, her life changes forever. Even as she explores Europe with her new family, she discovers that the most valuable journey is within. The first book in the Grand Tour series takes you from the farms of Montana through England and France on an adventure of forgiveness, spiritual awakening, and self-discovery." Here is what I thought of it:

I have to say that I have not read many books like this before, but I certainly enjoyed it. It was refreshingly unique.Cora Diehl has returned to Montana after her first year of training to be a teacher. When she finds that no one from her family has come to pick her up, she ventures out to her family farm only to discover that her father has suffered from a stroke. They are about to lose their farm when a wealthy, unexpected visitor appears at their door. He informs her that he is her father, making her the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy copper-mining baron.
He sweeps her away on a Grand Tour of Europe along with her newly found siblings and William McGabe, their tour guide, or "bear" as they were called. This book is full of suspense, intrigue, romance, and tears, and I would recommend it for anyone to read. The only thing I would complain about would be that it has an abrupt ending. I understand this is part of a series, but I would have preferred more closure since the final two books will be released in 2013, which seems ages away. It looks as if the series has one main character that it follows throughout three different books rather than three different yet connected characters. Because of this, I might recommend that readers wait until the next two installments are published before reading this one so as to not be left hanging. Nevertheless, I cannot wait to read "Grave Consequences" and "Glittering Promises", the next two in this series.
Thanks to the publisher, David C. Cook and Net Galley for providing a free ebook for me to review.

So, would you read this? Does it look interesting? What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds awesome, and I know I enjoyed Lisa T. Bergren's River of Time Series. However, I tend to wait until all the books in a trilogy of books are written before I read the first book just because I feel like I cannot connect to the books as much otherwise. Still, I will definitely read these books when all three are released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good idea, Cortney, because the ending can really leave you hanging!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.